Mandasa Vasudeva Perumal temple
Mandasa is a village and a Mandal in Srikakulam district, Andhra Pradesh, India. This town is near the highest peak of Eastern Ghats, Mahendragiri of Odisha state, from which there is a view of the Bay of Bengal.
Historic Importance of Mandasa Village
Approximately in 1200 AD, Raja Vaman Singh Deo, from North gave up his kingdom to his uncle and came to the Mahindra Hills for penance and established the territory of Manjusha. The local legend says that he had a vision while he was doing penance. His vision indicated that he would receive a signal as to where he can establish his kingdom. At that moment a gold ring slipped from his finger and fell into the river. It was found downstream at a place and Kingdom of Manjusha was established there. The river still flows and its name is “Suna Muddi” which means Golden Ring.
Manjusha was at first in Ganjam District of Madras Presidency and then it became a part of Vizag District of Madras Presidency. Later it came into Srikakulam District. Lord Vasudev is the presiding Divinity of Manjusha.
Brief History of Temple
In the lunar year of “Pramo:da”, in the month of “Ma:rgasi:rsha”, on the day of Krushna Dwadasi, Vrushchika Lagna, Wednesday, in 1744 AD, the temple was consecrated by the lunar dynasty heir Sri Hari Hara Rajamani. The temple which was once patronized by kings and reigned supreme lost all its grandeur in due time. In the later years it became impossible even to maintain the temple with daily worship and rituals.
The temple established by the rulers and later maintained by the trustees came into the hands of the Endowments department and was being well managed. But unfortunately it slowly lost all its lands income, fame and remained in ruins.
Renovation of the Temple
In 1988 November, while conducting a World Peace walk in Srikakulam, CEO of Viksasa Tarangini Sri Chinna Jeeyar Swamiji along with team members reached Mandasa and observed the state of this temple. After writing requisition (D. Dis No. B3/1751/98 Dt 7-7-2000) to and receiving permission After writing requisition (D. Dis No. B3/1751/98 Dt 7-7-2000) to and receiving permission (Rc No : A1/417/98 Dt. 22.06.2000) from the “Deva:da:ya and Dharma:da:ya Sa:kha” of Andhra Pradesh, gained the custody of the temple.The temple was re-established with an approximate amount of Rs.1 crore with the help of the sculptor of Bhubaneswar Sriman Raghunattha Mahapathro. Reconstruction of the temple was mainly supported by Dr. Renu Tamarisa and Dr. Chary Tamirisa who came from Houston USA.
The reconstruction started on 13-11-2003 was done for the “Garbhalayam”, “Dwaja Sthambham”, “Mukhamandapam” etc according to the traditional practices of construction and adding new sculptures where ever required. The old structures were kept intact and preserved without any damage.
The findings of 457 Arabic engraved coins, copper plates, a couple of gold ornaments etc., were secured with the local government authority until the completion of the reconstruction and then were stored properly in the temple.